[Dailydrool] Rehabilitated?

Dawn Gardner dawn at happyhoundpetservices.com
Mon Apr 11 09:44:59 PDT 2011

You hit the nail on the head about Cesar.  Those dogs are under control as
long as they are more afraid of Cesar than they are of whatever triggers
their aggression.  Cesar does successfully convince these dogs they are
powerless against him, but that doesn't translate to anyone who doesn't have
the exact same body language and mannerisms as Cesar.  This is one of those
cases where the fear / aggression is suppressed, but not really gone.  So
can we suppress aggressive behavior?  Absolutely!  And we may do so
indefinitely if we are lucky.  Is it good for the dog?  I would argue NO
WAY.  I've rehabilitated dogs that were "rehabilitated" by these methods,
and as soon as the trainer was out of the picture, they bit someone worse
than they ever had before.  It isn't pretty.

Aggression cases are a matter of ongoing rehabilitation in combination with
proper  management.  I believe the dog can have a very happy life and never
bite again if the owners are diligent.  I would never make the promise that
the dog will never bite again  because any dog will bite when the situation
is right, and aggressive dogs have already learned that if you bite a person
or dog it will make them retreat.  That's what aggressive dogs are after, so
the behavior is self rewarding.  The trick is not to teach them not to bite,
but to help them see others as non-threatening so they don't feel the need
to bite.  Teaching the dog to not be as anxious around his triggers will
have longer lasting impact on behavior, but even that isn't guaranteed.
When you have a bad day at work, you might snap at your loved ones and
regret it later.  When a dog has a bad day, his anxiety may come out, and if
that includes aggression, he may bite.

Just like with anxiety disorders in humans, the possibility of something
triggering a relapse is there, so careful management is necessary so the dog
is not exposed to triggers he cannot handle.  For example, I have a relative
that cannot drive on the interstate or she has an anxiety attack.  She is a
perfectly good driver otherwise.  So when we travel together we choose
routes that do not involve interstate driving for her.  An aggressive dog's
stress level should be kept down, and he should never be exposed (for his
sake and others) to situations he is not ready for.  Unfortunately some pet
parents are not very good judges of what their dog is ready for.

So yes, I believe all dogs can live good lives, even those with aggression,
and with the proper management they will not bite again.  But no, I do not
think anyone should ever take chances.  It is always possible that a
recurrence could be triggered, and therefore dogs should always be under
their handler's control.

It is vitally important that, as dog owners, we understand that dogs have a
succession of perfectly natural reactions to being threatened, and that one
of those things is biting.  It is natural for dogs to bite to protect
themselves, so in doggie circles it isn't wrong.  We need to not think of
these dogs as "bad".  They are just dogs who haven't learned our rules and
are threatened by things we might not even think about.

For the record, another thing dogs do when they are threatened is freeze -
they either lie down motionless or they stand still hoping the threat will
go away.  Be aware of this if you do ever use techniques you see on TV with
your dog.  Sometimes we interpret the ceasing of a behavior as the solution
to the behavior, but it may not have solved anything. The dog just may be so
stressed and terrified that he cannot move.

I'll let someone else type now.  I try not to be long winded, but it never
works.

Dawn Gardner
Behavioral Consultant & Trainer
Happy Hound Pet Services