[Dailydrool] Red Zone, A"grrr"ession and Rehabilitation

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Mon Apr 11 15:29:10 PDT 2011

Have been reading this thread with great interest as one can imagine.

There are many, many methods, rehab protocols and theories, the bottom line
 is a simple equation after years of doing hands on rehab, and that is:

1 - Qualify the bite or aggression.
2 - Rule out medical (a high number of cases are medical backgrounds)
3 - Rule out nutritional issues - and I want to elaborate on this  one.
    Many know we've been fortunate over the years to  work with many
trainers and behaviorists, Cesar, Victoria, Tia, Warren - most  recently we've
become affiliated with Animal Behavioral Colleges and have  enjoyed visitation
with many of the mentors - nutritional correction is most  effective.
Victoria Stillwell turned me onto a product available from the  UK - "Zylkene".
It's a supplement and not a drug.  Rarely do we have  a case that is not
medical or nutritional - however, we had 3 cases that had me  going batty -
literally. When rescue wants to send a doggie off to bomb dog  duty, you know
they are a challenge. Zylkene for 90 days did the trick -  amazing stuff.
Combined with good nutrition for 30 days, basic hands on  work daily and
correction techniques, we've had 100% success in the difficult  cases.
Nutritional correction takes a minimum of 30 days, and most  commonly 90.  Never
should a Grrrr rehab case be placed in a home with  children, and there are many
that argue this stating their kids are great, and  they may be.  It's not
YOUR kids - it is their friends and the slumber  parties, birthday parties
and overall excitement that puts both dog and children  at risk.

I 100% agree with many of the comments that a "Grrrrr" dog requires
constant supervision, is a huge responsibility, and should NEVER be off lead at  a
dog park.  I won't go so far to say No Dog Parks, as many do fine as long
as good leadership is constantly present - socializing the dog in question
has  it's plus', however, at no time should another canine be put in
jeopardy. If a  high alpha has a fear response and attacks, that's a dog that should
not be at  dog parks.

Just because someone calls a dog "Aggressive" does not mean they are.   I
have much better success training older dogs than I do in puppy training, yet
 almost every trainer I've ran across likes the adage "You can't train a
dog over 1" - my mind reels with this comment - are they crazy? You can't
train a basset until they are at least 3!!! lol. The easiest trick is "Steal
the  Sofa".  I think it might just be hereditary.
Bwahahaha.... I return to my pack - today that pack is at 93, it changes
daily. We need more sofas.

Dawn of the West
Where "Red Collar" dogs are a norm.
_www.daphneyland.com_ (http://www.daphneyland.com/)
661  269-2682

Daily rehabilitation and socialization of up to 100 basset  hounds and some
mixes - public viewing and visitation are Saturdays &  Sundays from 11 - 5.
Come and rub bellies in person! Volunteer opportunities  abound!
Join our facebook causes page - 2011 members for  2011!!! Get BaRNi at
Daphneyland updates, help raise funds for bassets to be  rescued!
_www.firstgiving.com/snoopytu_ (http://www.firstgiving.com/snoopytu)
HoeDown  is coming! May 7, 2011!  Enjoy raffle, auction, BBQ, hounds and
music by _www.jenniferlind.net_ (http://www.jenniferlind.net)