[Dailydrool] Girl Dogs and Boy Dogs in the Pack

Kelly Jane Wilson chincoteaguegal at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 16:34:59 PDT 2011

I too find comfort in stories of inter pack fights and scuffles. I have learned a lot and do not get upset about any wars, skimishes, or loud verbal threats.

Here at Chez Wilson we have a pack of five. Two Big Black Dogs, a young Lab Huskie mix and an old affable Lab, both boys. Three short ones, two girls and one boy. I find that the boys tend to fight more than the girls, usually about food. However, LB, my yellow bassador is aging and getting cranky. Seems the young boy Lab challenges him more and more, in a non food environment. They had a fight on the deck a few weeks ago and LB got a couple wounds. LB also fought with the old Lab last week at feeding time, which shocked the old Lab because LB started it.

Gigi, a young girl, will challenge anyone who comes near her food, except Myrtle. No one messes with Gigi near the food dish.

Myrtle is the quiet alpha matriarch of the bunch. No one, but NO ONE, messes with Myrtle. Not in the house, not at the dog park. She never gets ugly, never raises her voice, just gives a look with maybe a raised lip to a four legged stranger who is being inappropriate. Myrtle and Gigi have never fought that I can remember. Rather, they are like a couple of gossipy old ladies sharing secrets with each other, despite their age difference.

We recently fostered another girl for a week. She brawled with the boys, not with the girls. Then again, I will not let anyone get ugly with Myrtle my heart dog.

I enjoy the pack dynamics and watching the interactions. We take the brawls in stride, separating the offenders as necessary. And I am so happy that ours is not the only household with occasional bellowing. Because LB bellows. A lot.

Kelly Jane and the Wilson Gang