[Dailydrool] Fran Gray

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 10:37:34 PDT 2011

I am not a member of Guardian Angel Basset Rescue but Fran Gray was their
adoption-coordinator. Fran was, as I understand it, really the founder of
GABR and, working with Larry Little and a host of other people too numerous
and dedicated to count, turned it into the Rescue that it is today.
She passed away a few days ago, at her home in Chicago Heights, Illinois.
I met Fran when she was still showing dogs with Mary Bastable under the
kennel name of Beauregard. I do not remember the first time I saw their dogs
but it was at the International Kennel Club and we began attending that as
specators in 1966--that is the oldest catalog I have.
When we decided to buy a Basset I was not sure how far my husband would
drive to pick one up-- as it turned out I underestimated seriously-- but I
began looking for one close by. This was in 1982.

I happened to glance in the back of DOG WORLD Magazine and found a
classified for two kennels nearby and one was just over the village line
from us in Chicago Heights. So I called and it was my first experience being
drilled by a breeder LOL. As it turned out she had a litter up in Oak Park.
They weren't ready to go yet but we could go see them, and we did, and
picked a lovely tri male, mostly black and tan with just a smattering of
white. We were so excited. And then when we went back it turned out he was
the pick and we ended up with another male and so Fran was my doorway into
the confusing and often hilarious world of Bassets.

When Mary Bastable passed away, Fran divested herself of most of her dogs
and plunged into rescue. In the beginning the Veterinary Hospital where I
worked was the main Vet for the rescue, and so I saw a lot of Fran. Her
concern was always for the dogs, always that they have the best, always that
we do everything for each one and report to her anything we noticed
amiss--was the dog kennel aggressive, hard to handle? Submissive? Afraid?
Relaxed and friendly? Gradually over the years as GABR grew and came more to
be centered in Dwight, Illinois, we saw a bit less of her.

Fran was always polite, and friendly, and funny and kind. I never heard her
speak a harsh word to anyone altho she was sometimes less complimentary
about the former owners of some of the dogs.
The GABR has lost a huge cog in it's wheels. My sympathies to everyone in
the organization. Fran was an outstanding example of one person starting
small and through her dedication and determination, helping hundreds of
hounds, putting dogs in wonderful homes, and being a hub around which a
wonderful organization has blossomed.

I hope her passing was easy and gentle, like so many of the Bassets that she
loved.

MomPerson to Warf(ATB with Fran) our first Basset

Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper.