[Dailydrool] Need Help

melissa fenchel mibassetrescue at att.net
Mon Apr 18 09:01:13 PDT 2011

The very first basset I rescued, Katsie Girl, was used for breeding...like
livestock, never a pet. I got her and brought her home and thought I'd made
a HUGE mistake! She was TERRIFIED of everyone and everything. Cowered, tail
tucked and scared out of her mind. She was especially afraid of my husband.
When he came home she'd run and hide under a coffee table. She had almost no
hair, eye infected, ears infected, boobs dragging the ground, and nails
growing into her pads.

Well, it didn't take too terribly long for her to learn to trust...not only
trust, but become my Heart Dog and RULE the house! Never did she rule by
being cross with anyone. She was the kindest, most loving soul and she is
the reason, nearly 19 years ago, that I started Michigan Basset Rescue.
Watching her transformation from a pitiful, and I mean pitiful creature to a
beautiful, bossy and proud girl was ADDICTING!! I wanted to do it again and
again.....the rest, as they say, is history.

So my advice is this: pretty much let her be. Let her come to you for food
and attention. She will, eventually. Don't push, just let her be....then sit
back and watch her blossom! I'll warn you though, you'll get hooked and want
to help another just like her :O)

Melissa (Oh how I loved that Katsie Girl!! All these years later, as I write
this, I'm having trouble seeing through the tears...she was SO special!)

PS- She ended up ADORING my husband! When he was home the two of them were a
pair!

Michigan Basset Rescue
100% Recycled Bassets
http://www.michiganbassetrescue.org