[Dailydrool] Need Help

Pat Mayer lilygurl.pat at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 11:10:35 PDT 2011

A few years back, one of my daughters rescued a basset hound from a shelter
in their area.

The shelter told them that she had been 'dumped' there by someone (a local
farmer) whom they suspected of dropping bassets off every once in a while.
Apparently he fancied himself a breeder and when the dog was past its prime
or wasn't producing enough it got dumped.

Poor Phoebe was terrorized.. Very thin, tail tucked, dirty and unkempt.
Anything taller than her that was a dark color made her nervous. Skittish
actually. When Jen installed a ceiling fan in the living room, Phoebe would
creep through the kitchen and dining room and come out on the other side to
avoid walking under it.   If a dark object was placed on the fireplace
mantel she would skirt the room to avoid walking past it. Her eyes would be
huge with fear.

Over the years, being fed properly and spayed and vetted regularly Phoebe
has filled out and is a beautiful white basset with caramel freckles and
caramel ears.  A gorgeous basset. The farmer was probably making loads of
money off of her very pretty puppies!

Just this past winter my daughter married a great guy who loves dogs and
Phoebe adores him. She now lives in a large condo with her mom and Dad and
has a very happy life despite her history. Her nickname is Beebs because
whenever upset or stressed (usually a storm will set her off)  she paces
around making a  'beebing' noise.  She is on Doggie Prozac but does really
well with that and the love she gets from her family.  She adores kids,
puppies and being loved on.  She has even learned how to play with a few
toys. It did take her a while to get used to grass. And she loves being with
other dogs.

Phoebe has been in our family for 4 years now and is growing older
gracefully. We cannot imagine life without Beebs and It was well worth the
first year of struggles to get her to a good place.
I am so happy for your dog that has been rescued.  That in itself is a great
start.  Have lots of patience and spend a lot of time on the floor at her
level.  Good luck.
--
Drool to all in need.
Luv and Kissies too.