[Dailydrool] The Houndettes

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 07:35:27 PDT 2011

Those are our Houndettes on the DD calendar today! I wish I could have
gotten a better picture of the four of them but trying to get all four to
sit still and look pretty all at the same time is impossible. We chose today
because it's our Suzy's birthday today. She is the only one that we know for
sure when her birthday is and she is four years old today. It doesn't seem
possible.

Suzy Q. Basset is our Houndette who came to us when she was almost five
months old. She had been kept in a crate with a bark collar on 20+ hours a
day, had learned to pee and poo and lay in it and had absolutely no
personality at all. It has been pure joy to watch this puppy grow into the
wonderful dog she has become. She has certainly been a challenge for us in a
lot of ways. As you can imagine, house training was a real challenge made
much worse when we discovered that she is also incontinent. Thank goodness
there is medication that helps a lot with that issue. Then, when Suzy was
six months old, she had to have her leg surgically broken because a growth
plate solidified too soon so that really delayed her progress a lot. In the
meantime, she became the pooch at the bottom of the pack here but she has
always been fine with her place in the pack and goes along with whatever the
other Houndettes tell her. Well, until recently. I'm not sure if she has
decided that she really doesn't have to be pushed around by the others or
what is going on but she's standing up for herself a lot more than she ever
has before.

So Happy Birthday to Suzy! The mastiffs are here to play today and we'll be
partying later!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, the birthday girl Suzy & Ginger
with mastiffs Brutus & Sasha