[Dailydrool] COPD in dogs?

Mary Elliott cherokee47b at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 13:17:16 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,  I haven't been on in ages, but in the past I have gained a wealth of knowledge from you, so once again I am turning to you for help and advice.  My basset, Rose just turned 12 and about 5-6 months ago my vet diagnosed  her with COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).  The only thing I can find out that causes it, is smoking.  No one in our house smokes or ever did.  Someone said it might have been caused by some kind of trauma.  The only thing I can think of is when she was a very young puppy, she fell into a very muddy pond  and was completely submerged for a few seconds until I could pull her out.  In any case, my vet has her on Terbutaline Sulfate 2.5 MG Tab. 1/2 two times a day and Prednisone 20 MG tab 1/4 tab once a day.  Rose just had her checkup and everything else was good. Heart was good.  Of course she never coughed in the vet's office, just huffed and puffed a lot.  At home we are hearing her get very slowly
 worse.  She'll be lying on the bed or sofa and start coughing and coughing like she were choking.  Nothing comes up,  she just coughs.  Sometimes I think it's a little more just before her next dose of meds is due, but not always.  Has anyone ever had to deal with  this and what more can I do for her?  Thanks so much for any advice you can give.

Mary Elliott & Rosebud (Queen of the pack).