[Dailydrool] How much Poop?

Kr1204 kr1204 at aol.com
Wed Apr 20 07:04:18 PDT 2011

Debbie asks how much poop should a pooch poop? It has always been my understanding that the rule of thumb is the number of meals they eat each day, i.e. two meals, two poops. However, like people they can have differing digestive systems. When I used to get puppies, they got 4 meals a day and pooped at least that many times. Since his bout with bloat, I have been feeding Crackers several small meals throughout the day. At first it was six meals and he upped his poop production to 3 times a day. Now he gets four meals spaced out over 14 hours and he is back to twice a day like clockwork. The others are also regular unless something upsets their stomach (which it hard with a basset!) Jordan was running around frantically the other morning and making urping sounds (she had already eaten and pooped) so I let her out and she pooped again and spit up some foamy bile. Then she was fine. I have no idea what she might have gotten into but since the pack here shares everything and nobody else was sick, I guess she just had a brief episode.
And I have found that cheap kibble increases poop production since they don't digest everything. I have two bassets on Arcana, one on Fromm's Senior and the others on Nutro Lamb and Rice. I found with fosters that if they had been fed cheap food, they tended to have weight gain and runny poops from getting a better grade.
Just the findings from a longtime basset observer
Kathy with Crackers (who reminds me that it is time for food). Loki and Jordan with Drummer and Gracie the houseguests.