[Dailydrool] Marching with Bassets

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 17:57:32 PDT 2011

The CBHR  Waddle is in Charleston SC in December.  The culmination of the
event is participation in Charleston's annual Christmas parade.  We took the
3 bassets.  Our 10 year old senior rescue Miss Poppy is a big time alpha dog
without a lot of teeth, but with a big bark. She barks and snarls at all
strange dogs until they except her "superiority".   I actually bought a
muzzle to take with us (and forgot it).  Anyway, we were expecting her worst
behavior, snarking and barking at everyone.  Well, we couldn't have been
more surprised.  With what seemed like hundreds of bassets (it was at least
100), she was wonderful.  She marched with the others without a peep.  I
secretly suspect that she thought they were all there just for her.  Her
former foster mom was there and I think equally surprised.
Last weekend we took her to the Wilmington NC Azalea Festival where we put
her to work drumming up funds and people to support the hounds.  Again, she
was quite the lady, tolerating the other bassets and getting lots of
scratchies and belly rubs (along with a few treats).
You never know until you try it!