[Dailydrool] Wrabbits

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Thu Apr 21 11:57:55 PDT 2011

Marlene, the best way to get rid of rabbits is to have a basset with strong hunting instincts.  Beauford is doing an excellent job of keeping down the wrabbit population in the backyard.  You could borrow him, but he has this thing about female bassets.  Oh yeah, and rather exacting feeding requirements.  Maggie Wags and Evil Annie just might do him in.  Plus, I am not sure I would trust him to tell the difference between a cat and a rabbit.  He does admirably well with little dogs, so maybe I am not giving him enough credit.  I have given up on the whole eating poop thing.  It used to drive me nuts and I tried everything under the sun to stop them.  Then a vet told me to just quit looking.  When Beauford and Bugsey are on leash, I do not allow them to eat poop.  Actually, I will confess to giving them treats for NOT eating poop, dead carcasses, cigarette butts, trash, etc.  They are so well trained that they stand over these things and look up at me drooling.  On one hand I wonder why I still give them treats when it is obvious that they have learned that they aren't supposed to eat these nasties.  On the other hand, I would rather give them a treat than have to pry the nasties from their jaws.  It isn't like they get big treats.  I make their treats (the allergy issue) and I make them really small because, well bassets have a habit of getting overweight.

Jennifer, mom slave to Beauford and Bugsey