[Dailydrool] Thyroid

Dawn Gardner dawn at happyhoundpetservices.com
Sun Apr 24 13:48:47 PDT 2011

Anybody out there had a dog that has the condition where antibodies are
destroying the thyroid hormone as fast as it is produced?  My Romeo is on
Soloxine, and I went to the company website because he was doing some weird
stuff, and he has all the symptoms of thyrotoxicity.  He's on the right
dosage for his weight, but we are already worried about his kidneys due to a
blood test he had before we found the thyroid trouble, and one of the
symptoms he has is excessive thirst followed by excessive drinking & peeing
- this cannot be good for the kidneys!

I may be doing it wrong - I know the Soloxine has made him feel better in a
lot of ways, but I cut the dosage in half.  He seems calmer today, but not
as happy - he was wagging all the time a few days ago!  Maybe the happy
hyper dog was just a side effect that needs to go away.  He used to sleep
all the time, and then the Soloxine turned him into a little wild man who
was always on the go. Now he's acting more like he did before he went on it.
I'll probably have to spring for a visit to the vet to get his dosage
straightened out, but right now I have zero income.  I don't want him to
feel lethargic and get fat again, but I also don't want to make him sicker
or wear his kidneys out.

So I was hoping somewhere on the list someone could advise me before I have
to shell out too much for the vetman. I want my baby boy happy and healthy.

Dawn Gardner
Behavioral Consultant & Trainer
Happy Hound Pet Services
336-432-8715