[Dailydrool] Opinions Requested

Kelly Epley epilady1960 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 11:52:15 PDT 2011

Hi, I'm a drooler that needs help with a 4 week old non-basset puppy.  I am
currently fostering an 8 year old Shih Tzu that had puppies with a Maltese.
We have 2 surviving puppies a male and a female.  The female was attached by
her mother and has a broken leg.  The leg doesn't seem to be fusing and the
vet is concerned about a gap in the bone.  The most likely prognosis I have
been given is to amputate, but we are taking a wait and see approach.  This
little girl is a fighter, she has already recovered from severely infected
bite wounds.  Is there anything I can do for her?  What other treatment
options are available?  She is not walking yet. so if amputation is
inevitable, should we do it now so she can adjust to a 3 legged world?
Thanks in advance for any wisdom you can share.

For the basset related side of the world, my boy Drake had surgery for an
ear hematoma a week ago and is healing nicely.  My foster Murphy is well on
his way to beating pneumonia, whip worms and an ear infection.  Several dogs
at the shelter he was rescued from have died from the same upper respiratory
virus.  Murphy left this morning for his rescue in Colorado.  Tonight I have
the privilege of picking up a beagle and a bagel to hold for transport
Saturday.

--
Kelly Epley
Basset Rescue