[Dailydrool] Is my new foster a long haired basset?

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 12:16:13 PDT 2011

Cooper arrived on Monday afternoon to join the gang.   He is supposedly 10 yrs old
but I don't believe it.  This boy has energy to spare and I want some of it.

I can remember someone here on the drool is putting together a album of long haired
bassets and I would really love to look at it again.  Cooper is definitely a basset and has
the flat basset down pat when he does not want to do something.   He is a thick coated boy
which is very soft, has little swirls and a lot of feathering on his tail and belly.  His hair is not
really long but a lot longer than any of the gangs.  I would say he is a fluffy boy with a mane
that is about 2 1/2 inches long.  So I have to wonder if he qualifies as a long haired basset?
I can't wait to see what happens when I get him bathed.  Will I have a fluff ball?

Yes he has a sad story.  He was found wandering the street with a  frayed rope on his
collar as well as a shock collar. (GRRRRR)  GGBR was able to trace his micro-chip to a breeder in
Missouri.  GGBR later found our that Cooper belonged to an elderly couple and the husband
was in the hospital.  We were told that he probably would not be coming home.  Cooper was
released to GGBR and is now my latest foster.

I have joined the "Riding the Mop Brigade"  but he is getting better on day 3 with his marking.
Usually I am really low keyed about accidents but after he figured out the dog door he got
mad at me for not giving him my food, looked at me at urinated right in front of me.  This was
after  at least 30 markings in the house.   I finally  just looked at him and said, "No, you go outside
and potty".  Today is better with only 1 incident.

Cooper is a good boy although lacking in some manners but doing better today.  I don't think
he has really ever lived with a pack of bassets so he has some learning to do.  Empress Ruby Doo
started him off with the "husky" talk.  Fabulous Freddie gave him a roar when he tried to hump
him, Bazzle doesn't appreciate his boldness in greeting and Sadee Maye let him know that it
was NOT okay to push her away when asking for attention.  All in all the gang laid down the
house rules and he is adjusting very well.  Manners 101 is in the first stages.

Welcome Cooper!
Karen and The Dog House Gang with our foster basset,  Fabulous Freddie
Please Visit Freddie's Cancer Treatment Fundraiser Page:
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/FabulousFreddie/golden-gate-basset-rescue-inc