[Dailydrool] Snoopy at the dog park (part 315)

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 27 15:44:03 PDT 2011

Yup, I did it again, took them both to the dog park.  Most everybody knows
Snoopy these days and he's getting better all the time.  He is still greeting
head first instead of at the polite end for new dogs but at least it's down to a
single bark and then he's on his way to the next dog.  There were a couple of
new dogs today and one owner said "wow, he just comes right up to their face and
says hello doesn't he?"  Yes, yes he does and we're working on that but at least
now it's not so intense.  I actually showed this behavior to Addy from GGBR at
the parade last week and she said it was common among rescues who had been
stray.  She said it was his way of saying "don't mess with me" and could take a
year or two to disappear completely.  At least it is no longer mistaken for
aggression, just needs more work on learning to be polite now.

Snoopy had a really good time.  There is a border collie named Cooper who he
knows and LOVES to play chase with.  You haven't lived until you've seen a
basset hound playing chase with a border collie in a dog park that's at least as
long as a football field.  Snoopy can really MOVE on those little legs, I'm
telling you, he gives Cooper a run for his money and it's SO funny.  Snoopy has
SUPER LONG ears (at least 9 inches) and he has to be careful or he'll trip over
them and the he has shortest little legs and HUGE feet but he can really pump
and that boy can go.   Cooper never gets more than 3 or 4 feet ahead of him but
I suspect he is modulating his speed so Snoopy doesn't get discouraged.  What a
sight.

And Cyrus ..... well Cyrus played fetch.  Cyrus wants little more from life than
food and walks and to be comfortable .... and fetch.  So I threw the ball with
the chuck it for Cyrus and Snoopy played chase with Cooper in the 70 degree
sunshine and when both of them were exhausted we came home.

Now both dogs are out cold and the girls are home from school.  Natalie is on
the floor wrapped around Snoopy talking baby talk to him.  Cyrus is on the couch
behind me.   All the windows are open and life is good.

Happy Days,
Dale