[Dailydrool] Basset Crap

bassetslave bassetslave at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 18:37:00 PDT 2011

A subject near and dear to my heart......having been the one who brought the
term into the lexicon of Drooldom over a decade ago. My frame of reference
is how to best use basset crap to benefit rescue...so my overwhelming advice
is to either donate it to your favorite rescue or rescues that have somebody
who you trust to understand the best ways to get top dollar. Including
biding one's time, grasping the difference between raffle crap, basket crap
and the infinitely wonderful, "PAWCTION WORTHY." Not to dump it all at once.
There is never harm in saving something to maximize its value. Quickly
liquidating means bargain prices or glutting the market...and I'd be very
happy to be among first in line for that sale.

Every word of that, I mean seriously. The last thing to do is waste any good
stuff in exchange for rapid disposal. I beg you to donate it as described
above, or slowly, very slowly dole it out to occasions where you think it
will be put to optimum use. If, on the other hand, you have piles of generic
basset crap that is readily available for purchase, you might as well go
ahead and sell it for what you can get, donating whatever percentage you
would like.

There were many years where I was privileged to gather items for annual
pawction. I did my best not to waste the good stuff, saved much for raffle
and/or baskets. I recall a donation from a nice man who was moving away. A
kind Drooler in California had me send  pictures of many items which she was
able to estimate value on. They were used according to her parameters and
did very well.

Like many Droolers, I have also been recycling things of my own for years
and am blessed to have as a  friend .....Pawtunia's breederslave. Who
literally inherited a collection of basset crap, shares her own and has been
entrusted with more. She has given me some wonderful things and regularly
allows Pawtunia to plunder her cache in search of things to use for the
homeless hounds. There are many, many donation closets among Droolers and it
would be lovely for you to join them in using your basset crap to good
purpose. The word TAX DEDUCTION comes to mind if you are so inclined.

It also comes to mind that it is rare for something to receive as much when
the item is being sold personally, as opposed to for homeless hounds.

That's my perspective. I'm sure there is someone who knows more about
selling not for rescue. If that is your goal, perhaps you could inquire of
Harry Chipman. I'm not sure if he is still a Drooler, but have seen him
selling vintage basset stuff for years and think he would know as much about
it as anyone. I found his email by googling. Not mine to put it here, but he
is easy to find!

dawnslave
...dreaming of the pawfect location for a pet gift shop....not anytime soon!
....while I was typing this I think I heard Pawtunia in my jewelry box!!!!