[Dailydrool] Multiple hound household

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Sat Apr 9 14:22:39 PDT 2011

When we went multiple, we started with two bassets, Jane and Bel. They quickly adored each other, and after a short time we had only rare tiffs between them. Jane delights in my husband, and Bel latched onto me, so there was nothing to fight about. Later, we added Alexis to the pack. She was a perfectly self-sufficient dog, who only needed walkies and food and a good place to sleep. She paid very little attention to our other two and was perfectly happy because she had once been the only dog in her household. But Belvedere, who adores me, would sometimes pick fights with her. I think he was just jealous of me, because I gave her attention--in human terms Lex certainly did nothing wrong. But mostly things were still very peaceful, since she didn't dispute Bel's place in the pack.

We added Abner to our pack after we lost Lex to lung cancer. Abner decided at some point that I was his human. Bel did not like that. I am HIS, and ONLY HIS! Bel allows me to do things for other hounds (Jane and occasional fosters) as long as they do not want to love me best.

For many years, Bel had the upper paw. When Abs was in Bel's bed, there was no question who won. Tiffs were more frequent than ever before, but mostly things ironed out in short order. No one got hurt.

Bel used to sleep in our bed. But about a year ago his arthritis and continence problems became so serious that we had to move him to the floor. That's when life got difficult. Abner does not want Bel on HIS floor. He especially does not want Bel between him and access to the door. Every night we go through tiffs about who will sleep where. Often it has ended up with Abner sleeping in the living room, which does not make him particularly happy. Bu recently, sick of this problem,  I have started a policy that says: "You work it out between yourselves. I don't care where you sleep, but I want to sleep!" Some nights this works really well. Other nights I end up intervening again, because disagreements are not stopping and  I need that sleep. How I wish we had a spacious bedroom!

In my experience, pack tiffs happen over a few things:

1. He has my favorite treat (or toy or whatever).

2. He has my favorite bed (or other spot).

3. He has my favorite human--this can be attention or the spot closest to the human. Bel has to be closest to me when I sit in my chair in the living room. Woe betide Abner if he tries to get too close. Happily our living room allows Abs to easily be just a short distance beyond Bel.

4. Occasionally the issue is: He's crowding me. This is usually Jane, our pack leader, who is irritated by her best bud, Bel. It does not happen often. It ends quickly. Jane is pack leader.

Our girls have never caused serious problems. Jane is undisputed pack leader. Alexis was a happy bottom-of-the-pack, oblivious to her position in most cases. I think the issue is more about getting the good things in life than gender. But you also have to be scrupulously fair about giving good things in order for the lowest hound to be happy. My hounds know that no matter what order I feed treats to them, they will all get a treat. This keep them from fighting for their place in the feeding order. It takes a new hound very little time to figure it out.

Part of our recent problem probably has to do with Belvedere's increasing arthritis and blindness. While Abner is not able to take Bel's position in the pack, he will certainly try to push Bel around. But Bel still wins the bed arguments, when he's in the living room. It doesn't take more than a minute.

If changes are occurring in pack structure, you will have disagreements. As far as possible, let the hounds work this out. It's the only way you will have peace. If I could go without sleep indefinitely, I'd let my hounds completely settle it. Drew sleeps through all the sound and fury, but I can't. So I take a hand, especially if things are sounding dangerous. Abner has nailed Bel a few times, and I can only stand so many bleeding ears. When no one seems to be winning and it's 1:00 AM, I take a hand too.

I think the fact of the matter is that some hounds get on better than others. But all hounds must learn a certain amount of civlility. If it's not nighttime, I can give Abner one good, "Stop it," and he does--that ends it for the time being. I as real pack leader always have the right to stop a tiff. But they have to do most of the work and come to agreement.

What's really funny is that sometimes these two fighting hounds flop down on the same bed. I find them cuddled together early in the morning.  They look like ideal siblings.

Just as human relationships aren't perfect, hound relationships aren't either. It doesn't mean they don't love each other--in some fashion.
Pam food slave to the Dashing Bassets