[Dailydrool] High Maintenance

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 15:15:22 PDT 2011

Hi all, momPerson here,

So Snoopy and I were at the vets office on Sunday.  Again.  Fortunately (??) my
vet is open Sunday with a mere (?) $20 surcharge to be seen on Sunday.   Snoopy
seems to ALWAYS want to visit that office and especially on Sunday.  Well,
yesterday my daughter Julianne was playing with Snoopy's "velveteen rabbit ears"
when she exclaimed ... "mom, he's got a bump and black stuff on his ear!!!"  So,
I got a warm wet washcloth and washed it and he'd cut his ear ... right on the
corner where that extra bit of flap is and it started bleeding when I cleaned it
up.  So, I called the vet and they told me to bring him over and I did.

Now Snoopy couldn't care less about his ear.  He promenaded into the lobby and
started playing with the staff and the other dogs and was having a grand ole
time being a star and center of the universe when the vet came over and said
"hello ... would anyone like me to look at Snoopy today?"  Well, Snoopy
acquiesed and we went into an examining room where she played with him and
rubbed his belly and loved on him and admired his grin and then went ... oh ..
yeah ... his ear ... how did he do that???  Well ... let's see ... the ear has a
clean nick on the corner and my daughter reports that the ceramic mushroom in my
rosegarden is broken into pieces and there's no blood in the house so we're
guessing he knicked it on a rose thorn while playing in my rose garden where he
does NOT belong!!  Dr says it could be anything .... did the other dog bite
him??  Sheesh ... I dunno ... Snoopy claims Cyrus nicked his snooter the other
day in a dispute over a steak bone  ... vet looked at his snooter and said
"could be rose thorn, could be brothers toofers" for the snooter scratch and the
ear nick and they both happened around the same time (day or two before).  She
asked how they were getting along and I told her they were curled up together
when not playing together the whole weekend so she said "it's a mystery then ...
and if the other dog bit him there should be blood and lots of it in the
house."  There's no blood.  When did Cyrus become "the other dog" .... seriously
... Cyrus has been coming to this office for 6 years now and he's well known as
the sweet, gentle, loving boy he is.  How did my addition of an adorable basset
turn my sweet Lab into a "prime suspect?"

She shaved a quarter size patch on the back edge of his ear to get a closer look
and then said "nope, too tiny, no stich, he'll be fine" and went back to playing
with Snoopy.

She said he has to take antibiotics for 5 days because he drags his super long
ears through everything.

It cost me over $120 (AGAIN!!!) to let the staff play with my basset (AGAIN!!!)
They should get their own basset and leave mine alone!!!

Sheesh.

Broke momPerson