[Dailydrool] An ER visit for one of Jennifer's dogs

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Tue Aug 2 11:56:02 PDT 2011

Last night our friend Jennifer had to rush her beagle-boxer mix,
Lola, to the ER. She'd been out in the backyard throwing up for who
knows how long and was clearly in distress by the time Jennifer got
home from work. By the time they got to the ER, blood was coming out
of Lola's rear end and Lola was so weak she couldn't stand. The vet
started hydrating her, did bloodwork and discovered a high red blood
cell count, and did an x-ray and discovered way too much fluid in her
intestines. So Lola stayed the night at the ER.

This morning Jennifer told me that the formal diagnosis is Hemorrhage
Gastro Enteritis (HGE). No idea how Lola got this, but fortunately
it's not contagious, so I don't need to worry about Jennifer's other
two dogs, Chloe and Owen, catching it. Lola's still having bloody
diarrhea, but at least she's walking and sitting up in her crate. The
vet says Lola's progress has been slow, but she's no longer
dehydrated. They'll keep her on antibiotics another day before
retesting her blood to see how things stand.

Although Lola isn't a basset, her brother Owen is, and Lola is one of
our young Charlie's favorite girlfriends. They especially enjoy lying
in Jennifer's hallway and playing alligator mouth for long stretches
of time. If Lola weren't to make it, Charlie would have no one to
play alligator mouth with him anymore. We're all pulling for her
here, and I'm relieved beyond words that it's not contagious and the
condition wasn't caused by the ingestion of poison.

Elizabeth