[Dailydrool] HGE diagnosis

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 00:15:05 PDT 2011

-------------------------

Our Barney had HGE once, several years ago.  He was fine one moment (I
had been home with them all day), then he threw up once about an hour
after supper, then ten minutes later, he went out to poop and squirted
diarrhea full of bright red blood.  I nearly had a heart attack.
RACED to ER vet.  THe ER vet told me that HGE sometimes has no known
cause; sometimes the stomach and intestinal linings just get very
irritated; the blood you see is because the intestine is actually
shedding its internal lining, and hemorhaging blood goes along with
that.

Yes, it is very serious.  Dogs can die from it in a matter of hours,
from dehydration or blood loss or shock.  But, the good news is, to my
understanding, that most dogs who receive treatment in time recover
without ill effects.  Barney got a shot for pain, one of abx, and a
bag of sub-q fluids (which gave him a big camel's hump on his back).
By the next day, he seemed 90% back to nromal and in a a week you
would never have known anything was wrong.

I am having all 6 of my slobbery crew sling a little drool for young
Charlie's friend.
--
Menzie Campbell, President, OMBR, Inc.
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!