[Dailydrool] Sorry - it's long

Sally King sally.king at nqe.com
Thu Aug 4 09:34:14 PDT 2011

It's been a while since I've posted. TBH I've had a rather bad time of it recently.
Some of you may remember my good friend died after breaking her leg back in June. I'm still trying to come to terms with that.
Since then, One of my aunts has died and I have had major surgery.
And then there's Rolph.

For a month or more he has just not quite seemed himself. Nothing I could put my finger on, nothing I could take him to the vet for and say there was something wrong, just he hasn't been "right".
I wondered if he was a bit blue because following surgery I was not allowed to walk them and my daughters were taking them out - but far less than I would. Then I wondered if he realised I wasn't well and was worried.
Then, one morning, he couldn't jump up on my bed. Later the same day, he couldn't get up on the sofa. The next morning, he couldn't even get up the one step into the back door. I had to carry him up and down stairs (no, I wasn't supposed to), otherwise he would drag himself up and down to be near me and it was pitiful. He even turned down treats and fruit - although he was eating his meals.
We went to a basset barbecue and he just lay beside me - no trying to steal food or charge around with the 30 other hounds.
 I kept hoping if I kept him rested he would improve. Next morning he ate his breakfast and 30 minutes later threw it back up.
We went straight to the vet. She said he had slight arthritis, but not more than she would expect for his age (7 in October). She put him on Metacam every day for two weeks, then every other day until the bottle runs out. He improved greatly, but was still not "quite right" and still turns down some treats (not all) and fruit which NEVER happens with him.
Now the Metacam has gone back to every other day, he is noticably worse.

Anyone have any thoughts? I hate seeing him so de-bounced.

Sally, with Rolph and Clara, UK