[Dailydrool] @Sally

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 4 13:57:27 PDT 2011

Hi Sally,

I'd like to offer you some hope, and some good thoughts and wishes.

When we brought Snoopy home from the pound he could barely do the 2 steps up the
front porch to the house.  He NEVER, EVER even put his front feet up on
anything.  Having never had a basset before, I thought it was because he was a
short dog.  But then he started limping ... first a front foot which was a
fungus infection and then a back foot ... but only when he got up after laying
down a while.  The dog pound told us that Snoopy was 3 but his home again chip
led us to his former vet and his actual birthday (6/28/2005) so he was 5.  WAY
to young to be like this.  But we didn't know.

It was months before he ever jumped up on the couch.  We brought Snoopy home in
January and I think it was a day in May when I was sitting on the couch and
Snoopy came charging into the room and bounced up on the ottoman and right next
to me on the couch.  I was shocked.  After that he's been up on everything ...
couches, reading chairs, even the futon in the office (which makes up into a low
bed).

We now think that Snoopy hurt himself somehow during his time on the streets and
it took 5 months to recover.  He's fine now ... just look as his youtube
"mommy's home dance" and you can see my sweet boy jump and dance and the whole
bit.  I bet your sweet boy has some sort of sprain he's nursing and if so then
good for him because the easier he takes it the faster and fuller he'll recover.

I'm also certain that he's aware of your sadness with the passing of friends and
family and of course your health.  Dogs are worriers, at least mine always have
been.  I'm known for saying I believe that dogs have more humanity than most
humans ... especially bassets (and labs .... it's ok to say labs too moderators
just so I mentioned the basset first!!)

Smile for him Sally.  And Snoopy and Cyrus will drool for him.  Oh ... and
Snoopy recommends a nap ... for both of you ... all snuggled up .... even if you
put a blanket on the floor to cuddle up with him.

Take care,
Dale