[Dailydrool] Sheer Terror

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 5 07:56:56 PDT 2011

Hi all, momPerson here,

Before I even start the story let me assure you that Snoopy is safely at home
having spent the night warm and cozy in his very own bed.  Now, here's the
story.

We walk the dogs every night.  Usually I take Snoopy and my husband takes Cyrus
because we get better leash manners when they are walked separtely.  Well, I
like to walk Cyrus too .... so last night my husband said he'd walk Snoopy and
so I walked Cyrus.  He asked us to wait 10 minutes so the dogs wouldn't try to
race.

I should mention my husband had had a few drinks.

Cyrus and I came upon Snoopy and my husband right around the corner ... he was
smoking a cigar and chatting with a neighbor and pretty much ignoring Snoopy who
was baying and carrying on .... we went past them and kept going.  A mile or so
later we came upon another neighbor ... she's a grandmother who is often out
with her very small ... maybe 3 year old grandson on his bike with training
wheels.  I pulled Cyrus up onto a lawn and had him sit because the boy is very
fearful of dogs.  I spoke to his grandmother and told her that I hoped the boy
would change his mind if he saw more good dogs.  She said something nice and we
went on our way.  Our walk is a big loop of about 2-3 miles (depending on the
route we take) ... and about a block from the house I saw her and her grandson
again.  This time the boys eyes were WIDE and the grandmother was running and
she said "didn't you see him?  did n'tyou see him?  Oh my G-d I'm SO sorry he
was following you and I thought you knew he was there ... I know he's your dog
... the little brown and white one ... didn't you see him following you?"
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo and that was a good 45 minutes ago and now the
sun is setting ..... Nooooooooooooooooo

So Cyrus and I ran home at a dead run and I left him in the house and grabbed
car keys and drove as safely as a mad woman can drive to the spot I'd seen the
grandmother/grandson the first time with the windows rolled down screaming
SNOOPY!!!!!!! and almost there I saw a bike laying in the middle of the street
and three people laying on the sidwalk on top of ...... yes .... you guessed it
..... Snoopy.

At the bottom of the pile, holding onto Snoopy, was the guy with the bike.
Snoopy had charged out in front of a lady's car and she swerved to avoid him and
very nearly hit the guy on the bike ... who dumped it.  He responded by charging
down the street after the basset hound ... who could get hurt for goodness
sake!!!  The lady sees us walking every night so she knows us and often loves on
Snoopy.  She immediately parked her car and helped the guy with the bike chase
Snoopy.  They report they chased him for about 20 minutes before the guy on the
bike managed to tackle him.  At that point my husband came along (he knew better
than to come home without my baby) and joined the pile with the lady and the
bike guy and Snoopy.  And that's when I showed up.

I told them all G-d Bless and picked my Snoopy up (thank you Bev for teaching us
all the basset lift via e-mail ... he's slipped his collar and my husband
dropped the lead and ran after him when he did and that was why they were all
laying on him ... it was the ONLY safe way I had to get him to the car once
everyone got up off of him.\)  I put Snoopy in the front seat and got in the
car.  The neighbor lady was assuring me that she would have brought Snoopy
inside and made him comfortable and found me next day and she wouldn't have let
anything happen to him, she knows I love him and walk him every night.  The guy
on the bike had a different story.  He reported that he'd already fallen in love
with Snoopy and with no collar he'd been VERY tempted to take him home.  Who
could blame him?

I did unlock the car doors and let my husband get in the back seat and ride home
with us.

I decided this morning that I guess I will go back to speaking to him.

Frazzled momPerson

Thank G-d for good neighbors

P.S.  There's some new folks on the drool .... Bev ... could you repost the
basset lift?