[Dailydrool] slipping the collar

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 18:14:01 PDT 2011

Naughty Snoopy!  And BAD DADDY!  Not to even notice Snoops had trotted off!

I wanted to ask what kind of collar Snoopy has.  Bassets are one of
several breeds that are hard to fit a regular collar for; often, their
necks are actually bigger around than their heads; so your options are
to fit their collar to the neck, and which case it's loose enough to
slip off over the head.  Or you can walk him using a slip lead.  but
many basset owners have discovered Martingale collars over the years.
They work so that, once properly adjusted, they will NOT slip off over
the dog's head. Basset Hound Rescue of Georgia (who I used to
volunteer with) puts one of these on every one of their foster hounds
before it goes to their new home, and OMBR (my current rescue) does as
well.  BHRG has a lovely selection of them on their website for
reasonable prices.

Here's more info about martingale collars in general (sometimes called
greyhound collars): http://www.trendyhounds.com/martingale.php

here's BHRG's website store. Collars are only $10.
http://bhrg.org/merchandise_dog.htm  Scroll down to "collars and
leashes".

And ABC's Slobber Shoppe has them in all sorts of "fancy" styles:
http://theslobbershoppe.com/martingalecollars-over20styles.aspx

Happy shopping!

--
Menzie Campbell, President, OMBR, Inc.