[Dailydrool] new aggression in an establishe​d hound

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:42:18 PDT 2011

It's not uncommon, especially after the loss of the Alpha in the pack, for
the pack dynamic to change.  It sounds like Toby might be trying to take
over the Alpha position.  Especially as the other dog (the Lab) ages, Toby
recognizes it and he's taking small opportunities (like around other dogs
for example) to stretch for the Alpha position. Add a new (and younger)
foster to the mix and it increases Toby's desire to be Alpha.

This happened a lot with my pack as Copper got older and especially as his
cancer progressed.  Vinnie, the only other male in the pack, a Saluki hound,
started challenging him in minor ways.  There was some very nasty sounding
growling, and some mouthing of each other, but it only "came to real blows"
one time.  Copper was refusing food, so I tempted him to eat by giving him a
bowl of fresh cooked chicken breasts and rice.  The mistake I made was
giving it to him in the common feeding room where everyone else was getting
kibble.  The two females were fine, but Vinnie went after Copper's food and
got his nose.  He drew a little blood, but I broke them up quickly and the
nose was healed in a day.

>From there on out we fed Copper in my bedroom, and up until he went to the
bridge two weeks ago, Copper and Vinnie never had any problems more that
growling at each other across the room.  Of course I was sure never to even
give them treats near each other again.

My three remaining hounds in the pack (2 female one male), play rough and
roll around and growl evilly at each other all the time during playtime.
Occasionally one will yelp in hurt or surprise if someone gets a sensitive
spot, but it's usually right back to play for them after that.

I would keep a close eye in them, but I wouldn't panic.  The best thing you
can do is remind everyone in the pack that YOU are the Alpha in the house.
It keeps the squabbles down if you can pull it off.

Good luck!

Brenda - momslave to Elphaba and Copper (ATB)