[Dailydrool] Scaring the help and Petco

J Marchlewski jan3luski at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 06:28:56 PDT 2011

Like Bev, I secure my dogs away from any service/repair people.  It's safer
for the dogs.  Last Monday, Laclede Gas needed to check my meter inside the
house.  When I scheduled the appointment I made sure I mentioned that I had
dogs and that the service/repair man needed to call first.  As luck would
have it, the service/repair man loves basset hounds.  He had to give up his
when his son was diagnosed with severe allergies.  He even let out an
"arhoooo."   But I've had other repairmen that were so scared of the dogs -
they almost left before finishing the job - even though I said they were
secured.  There are various levels of "secured" as I've learned.  The AT&T
U-verse tech told me once a homeowner said the dogs were "put up" - in
reality those dogs were gated in the kitchen.  The dogs jumped the gate and
attacked the worker.

I've visited several Petsmart and Petco stores.  Given the choice between
the two, I would rather go to Petco.  The new Petco store in St. Louis seems
like a nice one.  The workers are friendly.  The manager helped me select
and fit our then-foster Sophie for a harness. When I mentioned she was
headed to House of Puddles and explained what it was, he gave me the
employee discount for Sophie's harness.

Two years ago a local German Shepherd rescue was having an adoption
event/fundraiser at a small pet store.  I decided to take basset nephew
Boomer to the event.  I wanted to see how Boomer would react around
shepherds.  One dog lunged at Boomer.  The foster mom thought it was funny.
I explained how their rescue would be liable for any and all injuries to
Boomer or myself since she (as a foster home) did not have proper control of
her dog - it would probably also make her personally liable too.  I also
explained her role as a foster mom and how she was failing her foster
shepherd.  Then the woman made the mistake of telling me that it's easy for
me to speak since I don't volunteer.  Let's just say I compared notes with
that woman.  When I was finished, I apologize to her foster shepherd that he
had an "ignorant foster mom" and that he deserved better.  I didn't realize
at the time that the store owner was watching all of this.  The store owner
apologized and said he was going to intervene but he couldn't - he found it
entertaining to watch as I politely told her off.

Jan
Lady & Dexter