[Dailydrool] Duke update

Wendie Prince houndsabound at cfl.rr.com
Tue Aug 16 07:07:55 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Wanted to let you know that Duke is doing better.  He has what the vet said
was Disco Spondylosis.   I don't think it means that he got it from doing
his disco moves..  or maybe I misheard what she said. J

Anyhow,  he is responding,  or the pain meds are helping him be able to
stand some.  She did say with this type infection, it can take 3-4 weeks to
see the antibiotics work.  So I think he might just be overcoming the
lameness with the help of his pain meds.  He will come home later today
after they check to make sure he is urinating as he is supposed to.
Apparently the bladder can become full and sort of overflow?   Which she
thinks happened yesterday.  When I brought him in,  I had seen him poop, but
he would not urinate,  so I thought maybe he had done so when I didn't see
him,  but was told his bladder was very full.  The infection can prevent
them from realizing they have a full bladder.  That can cause problems such
as UTI,  which he does not have,  but we need to keep an eye on this.

We will use an x-pen to keep him separate,  more so to be able to monitor
his water intake and also to make sure no one bumps him.  He is still
favoring his back leg, but it does respond much better to stimuli this
morning.  We will let Duchess be in there with him,  I think she is really
worried without him here.  As much as she henpecks him,  and he lets her,
they really love each other.

Thank you all for your kind messages,  I am very hopeful we can get him
through all this.

Wen and the Bounders

www.seniorhoundsabound.org