[Dailydrool] Spinal infection

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 12:16:25 PDT 2011

I was glad to read that Duke is doing a bit better by now, but thought
I would share my experience with this FWIW.

Two years ago, April 2009, husband and I went on vacation out of
country.  Had a petsitter.  On our 4th day of 5, petsitter sent me a
text (how I got it in Guatemala, I'll never know, but I'm grateful).
Hector (then 9) was dragging his back legs.  She took him to our
wonderful vet.  So at first the vet thought it was a regular thing -
compressed disc- and started him  steroids and pain meds.  But he
actually got worse.  The vet knew that sometimes - rarely - a spinal
problem can be caused by an infection in the spine.  So he started
Hector on antibiotics instead.  Within 3 days, he was able to come
home, though he was very wobbly, and we walked him outside with a
towel under his hips.  Our vet mentioned toxoplasmosis as a
possibility, but it's very hard to get a culture on a spinal infection
(you essentially have to do a spinal tap, I gather), so we never did
find the specific source of the infection.  My PERSONAL theory is that
Hector got toxoplasmosis from eating cat poop - we had a feral cat in
our previous neighborhood that used to come over our fence and poop in
our flowerbed, just to taunt the dogs.

Anyway, he was on antibiotics for four weeks, and he had to do
physical therapy for several months after that.  But within six
months, he had regained 90%+ of his function.  He's almost 12 now, and
has recently started to get a bit weak in the hind end again, but he
has hip dysplasia as well, so this is pretty much just old age.

I am very grateful to my petsitter for being there, and my vet, for
being a good diagnostician and caregiver.

--Menzie Campbell