[Dailydrool] Visiting workmen & dogs as judges of character

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 13:48:01 PDT 2011

Drew has more than once told anyone who sends a repair person that anyone who comes to our home has to like dogs. Once he had a man insist that the dogs be put away before he'd work in the house--and that was when we had Abner, who might actually have been dangerous, if he hadn't loved company so much.

Usually the guys who walk in our door (I can't think of a time we've had a woman come) love the hounds. But once Jane decided to start picking up a friendly workman's tools and chew on them. I think it was when we had the bathroom redone. The fellows who worked for us that time loved dogs, and I guess Jane returned the favor.  Or maybe it's because Jane has a metal fetish--she'll chew anything metal.

You really do have to watch the dogs and workmen when they're together. Usually we don't lock up the hounds, but we certainly keep them from getting too cozy with someone we don't know. And now we warn workers about the danger to their tools, too.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets

PS for all those who think dogs are good judges of character, I beg to differ. My one brother, who was less than a savory character, never met a dog who didn't adore him. And we had frequent visitor who we later discovered was wanted by the law for numerous charges. He was a big favorite with our hounds until we had to tell him he was no longer welcome here.