[Dailydrool] Carmen's question

Jane Hay janewhay at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 09:09:32 PDT 2011

Carmen, I would suggest that you not take Hunter if you have reservations
about him. We all know I'm all about rescue but one of the many advantages
of dealing with a rescue is most rescues allow you to take the dog for a
week long trial period to see if it's a good fit. If it is, great. If not,
the dog comes back to the rescue and the adoption coordinator continues to
look for a dog for you who will fit your family better. Most rescues have
had the dogs in a foster home for long enough that the foster family can
give you a pretty clear description of the dog's personality and behaviors
so you have a good idea of what you're bringing home. Plus the dog has been
completely vetted, spayed or neutered and is totally up to date on
everything. I just would not take a dog from a private individual if I have
reservations about it when I know I won't be able to give it back to them.
Believe me, you'll feel much, much worse if it doesn't work out and you have
to take it to a shelter.

As far as loving another dog, you absolutely will be able to. Your next
hound will never replace the hounds you've lost but it will help to fill
that hole in your heart. We all love all of our two legged family
members and it's the same way with our dogs. I think you and your husband
will be pleasantly surprised at how quickly your new four legged family
member will have you both wrapped around their paw!

Good luck in your search!

Jane & the Houndettes
Jersey, Shadow, Suzy & Ginger
with foster bup, Ty