[Dailydrool] Hitting dogs

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 17 13:38:11 PDT 2011

Not only is this a bad thing to do to a dog, it's also a good way to get bitten. If a dog is upset at a situation, you need to calm it, not make it even angrier.

If a dog gets truly aggressive, I think you have a right to protect yourself, usually by getting out of its way and putting a barrier between you. But hitting only makes the dog angier, and it's likely to lunge for you.

Maybe Bev is right, and their are cases where there is no other option, but even then, I think caution would make someone hesitate to hit.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets