[Dailydrool] 1st experience with death

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 14:43:57 PDT 2011

After the most hectic day at work yesterday, I happily leashed the boys up
for a relaxing walk in the evening. Within the first block we encountered a
woman walking, who asked if we knew anyone in the neighborhood with a
Pomeranian. I know many of the people and dogs in our neighborhood and
recall seeing a Pom on occasion, I just could not recall who was the owner.
She went on to tell me she'd just witnessed him get hit by a car and he had
died on impact. She moved him out of the street onto some lawn near the
curb. She was visibly shaken up by it, as could be expected.

Soonafter as we proceeded on our walk we happened upon him. Poor little guy
was so cute; it was extremely sad. But the worst was when Cowboy started
howling at him and couldn't comprehend why the little guy wasn't responding.
Finally he went up and sniffed the pup and then looked at me, sniffed again,
looked at me, etc. He just seemed very confused. I let him take his time to
understand and after a few minutes we moved on down the block. Weirdly
enough Cowboy then started eating grass on the walk (which he never does) so
I don't know if that was related or not. But it was so sad to watch him
encounter death and process it for the first time. (Rupert on the other hand
seemed to "know" because he showed no interest and just waited patiently for
Cowboy to continue forward.)

We stopped at a few houses that I know have small dogs, but were unable to
find the owner. (No collar on the dog obviously). This morning the pup was
gone, so hopefully they were able to find him and do what they wanted with
his remains.

Anyway, I know everyone on the Drool always says after a pet passes away
that "dogs know" and maybe Cow will from here on, but this was definitely
the 1st time in his life he encountered death and it was just heartbreaking
to witness as he tried to comprehend it all.

Sorry for the sad tale, just needed to share.

Drool to all,
Kacy