[Dailydrool] Daphneyland's Holiday Pearl

Synthia and Hounds mtnbassets at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 19 16:47:25 PDT 2011

I've never posted much about Pearl, but she came to Daphneyland in early December, an abandoned breeder from a puppy mill somewhere between 10 - 13 yrs old, found in a canyon where she was left to die. I fostered her in December when she first came in, then in May she joined me on the long cross country trip to NY. Pearl is know as "the Princess who Bellows" as she pushes everyone around and yells at them until they do what she wants. Pearl always gets her way. Including chasing the Newfie and Saint away from their food bowls so she can have a bite or two. She's even gotten Kahuna to turn over the bowl - now that is power.
Anyway, Pearl has had a long road from 24 lbs to now weighing 44lbs. Her dental resulted in 10 extracted teeth in addition to the ones that had fallen out on their own. She has large mammary tumors, entropion in both eyes, though the right is worse than the left, and oronasal fistulas. When her upper canines were removed, the infections were severe and resulted in bone destruction so there are now holes in the roof of her mouth into her nasal cavity that must be closed. The holes are big enough for pieces of kibble to push up into her sinuses. So far she sneezes them out, but it's possible for her to sniff and aspirate the food material resulting in choking or pneumonia from getting in her lungs.
I have arranged with a specialty hospital to get all the necessary surgery, now that she is strong enough, next month and at a discounted rate. The "discount" is still quite pricey at $2500+ (vs $4000) and I have set up a first giving page for her. I know there are many needy hounds and rescues out there, but Pearl has been fighting hard for 9 months now and the end is in sight. Several people have been following Pearl's progress through the Daphneyland updates, and now I'm thrilled to say she will soon relax into retirement.
I have made a ChipIn page for Pearl to help with her surgical costs. Thanks everyone!http://daphenylandholidaypearl.chipin.com/daphneyland-holiday-pearl
Pearl and the boys send drool to all in need! (though Pearl hopes that she won't drool quite so much soon)
Synthia, lady-in-waiting to Pearl, with page hounds Zuma and Kahuna