[Dailydrool] Hugging

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 06:11:18 PDT 2011

I read once that dogs do not like to be hugged because it is too similar
to restraint.
Certainly Cooper does not like it and allows me to hug him briefly, before
he pulls away and stares at me with that "Please, I'ma GUY" look.
But Conley loves for me to hug him. He puts his head up against me and waits
to be hugged, and the tail tells the tale as it thumps faster and harder
when I hug him.
I bury my face by his ear and mumble to him. Sometimes I growl softly and he
loves that, too. I lie a lot: "you're a GOOD boy". "You're a Champion" (Far
from it.) "You're my best behaved boy"....
He seems to like the sound of "B". I think it kind of pops in his ears.
I also read once that dogs like hard consonants: You're a* G*oo*D B*oy.
Of course once I read that dogs only wag their tails at people, which is
ridiculous. And a world-known doggie expert said that. Many years ago I
think he is now deceased, maybe not.
Cooper is a dog who watches things. Hugging makes it hard for him to appear
to be a large, black, fierce, wolfy predator.
Conley lives to be loved.
Do other Bassets like hugging?

MomPerson to Nigel (uhoh here she comes) Llewis (She cant hug me, it hurts
my neck) Cooper (uh uh no way) and Conley (OBOY, HUGS!)