[Dailydrool] Hugging

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 15:32:43 PDT 2011

According to behaviorist Patricia McConnell, in her book THE OTHER END OF THE LEASH, hugging is not a dog pleasure, but a primate one. Dogs may not take to hugging quickly, because they can see it as threatening. When a dog puts a leg over another dog, it is telling it, "I'm top dog here." However, dogs can be trained to like human hugs. She tells a story of one of her border collies who was actually being strangled by a hugging human and did not react negatively; he simply waited for Patricia to rescue him. But, according to her, hugs are an acquired taste, not a natural one for dogs.

That being said, I think some bassets really enjoy hugs. Our foster Holly certainly does. But she loves any affection at all. When one of our dogs is getting attention, she barges in and try to get it all for herself.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets