[Dailydrool] Edmond Got an Owwie

Kimi Adolph kimizmail at comcast.net
Mon Aug 22 09:24:58 PDT 2011

We live in a dog friendly apartment complex; unfortunately it is not a requirement for said dogs to be friendly.

There is a little white dog who leaves a few doors over who hates anything that moves. Its a tiny little terrier looking thing and has gone after Edmond Dawd more than once. Its strange because his owners are a very nice younger couple and they apologize profusely whenever we see them. He has a mean little bark and lunges, but remains quite well restrained.

Edmond has a wonderful tolerance for children and other dogs. It takes a lot to get him going; especially when he is in "reliever mode". I swear whenever he is outside taking care of his business, a parade of cats could stroll by 6 inches from his snooter and it wouldn't bother him.

Saturday, Edmond was in his usual spot relieving himself and little white terror dog came out. He was one of those extending leashes, but his owner had him. He was doing his usual bark, snarl and yip and Edmond just went about his business. As they were walking by she somehow unlocked his leash and he lunged straight for Edmond. I figured he must have gotten him because Edmond lunged back and used that big basset nub on top of his head to send the terror flying. The owner was mortified but I gave Edmond a quick once over and he looked fine.

It wasn't until we were laying in the grass that I noticed he was bleeding. That stupid dog had punctured my Edmond's beautiful ear. I took him inside immediately and washed, rinsed and trimmed the hair around it. I felt terrible I had let harm come to my little boy puppy! (I did go back to the owner and verify their terror had all his shots)

In hindsight I see I should have stopped his relieving and moved along. I hate those extend-able leashes! Edmond got a good helping of steak that night to help his healing.

Drool to all those broken hearts who have sent their bassets to the Bridge. Love and prayers your way.

Kimi & Edmond Dawd (I'm okay Momma; besides Daddy says the girl houndies dig scars)