[Dailydrool] Crooker Front Legs

Rkbeard at aol.com Rkbeard at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 08:47:04 PDT 2011

First of all, let me say that I have used glucosamine/ chondroitin for
almost 30 years, and swear by it. I have had several Basset Hound with severe
arthritis and other back/joint problems.  When they are on the supplements,
they have done well--if I took them off, they immediately began to go
downhill.  I don't know a lot about research, but all of the vets that I  have
used have both approved and recommended using the supplements.  (As an
aside, I also used it myself, and have found it really helps my  osteoarthritis.

Currently, I have two dogs on a supplement called Phycox.  It is a  soft
chew, and my dogs love it.  It is basically a glucosamine and msm  supplement,
and is available from vets.  One of the dogs on it is a 4 month  old puppy
with a growth plate issue, and the other is a 12 year old male with  severe
arthritis.  Both are doing well.

Having said all that, occasionally a basset hound that is really knuckled
over badly needs surgery to help with the front legs.  You did not say how
old your dog is, but if he is slowing down and being reluctant to go for
long  walks, you might want to have your vet evaluate him, and maybe check with
an  orthopedic vet--surgery can be expensive, but it can also save your
basset from  a life of real discomfort.

Feel free to contact me off-line.

Kathryn Beard
_rkbeard at aol.com_ (mailto:rkbeard at aol.com)