[Dailydrool] Huskies

Brenda Weddle bweddlern at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 24 20:32:43 PDT 2011

>I did not know they were that aggressive.>

Eva and everyone,

Please do Huskies the favor you want people to do for our Bassets - take them as individuals. Siberian Huskies in general are sweet, loving, non-aggressive dogs. They LOVE people (and I don't mean to eat). They are high energy and have a high prey drive, but even so, I once fostered a 2 year old female husky who was quieter than most dogs and was even cat friendly, which most huskies aren't. The incident we are discussing was the fault of the rescue. This dog obviously was not ready for adoption day. He is a rescue, his background unknown, and all of those who work with Basset or any other breed rescue will tell you that they have run across aggressive dogs of every breed. Also, these dogs should have been exercised until they were tired so they would be calmer. One of our huskies bounces off the walls if she is not exercised at least twice a day. We call her our "Energizer Husky", but she is one of the most loving dogs I have ever seen - to everyone. I work with husky rescues (not this one) and I cannot imagine any of them behaving like this. The way this rescue behaved is a disgrace. Also, these dogs were not properly contained/controlled. I am not excusing, just explaining. We have 5 huskies, and none of them behave like this. Please don't condemn the breed for the actions of a few. They really are great dogs, but you have to understand the breed and also understand that, like many breeds, they are not for everyone.

Brenda and the Thundering Herd, including the huskies - Aiyana, Keyser, Mokiya, Sasha (the energizer husky) and Wahy'a the husky/wolf cross.