[Dailydrool] Itching

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Thu Aug 25 10:26:08 PDT 2011

I have tried to be very good and keep my mouth shut, but I just can't take it anymore!  1.  It is not any more normal for your basset to scratch than for you to sit around and scratch.  2.  If they are scratching, they DO itch.  Nothing makes me see red faster than my husband telling the dogs or me not to scratch because we don't itch!  It isn't like we are so bored we can't come up with something better to do.  The fact of the matter is the itching feels tremendously better when you finally rip the skin open and make it bleed.  Unfortunately this is how you get secondary infections and that is generally what a hot spot is.  What causes this itching?  Generally it is caused by allergies.  Sometimes it is an insect bite or dry skin.  Usually it is allergies and it is truly MISERABLE!!!  If you had to walk in your dog's paws as I have, you would run not walk to the vet as soon as they start ripping at their skin like that. You would get them either a shot or cortisone pills and then see what you can do to prevent the next outbreak from happening so you don't have them on steroids all the time.  Baths do help, but they don't magically make you not allergic to the grass or your food.  As for blue ear cleaner, I want to pour it on your open cuts!  It will clear up the infection.  I am not doubting that, but the alcohol in it will make the skin burn and dry it out.  My dogs get fish oil supplements two times a day.  They get baths with special moisturizing shampoos and conditioners (with NO oatmeal because one is allergic to oatmeal) every other week.  Please believe me when I tell you that itching like that is worse than most pain per my dermatologist.  Please help your furbabies to not itch anymore and don't just blow it off.

Jennifer Martin, momslave to Beauford (I get itchies) and Bugsey (I don't get itchies, I get ear infections) and written on behalf of Bubbles ATB and Banshee ATB who suffered from hot spots terribly back when I was stupid and before I was afflicted with TERRIBLE eczema