[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest: Dog Food

Rkbeard at aol.com Rkbeard at aol.com
Thu Aug 25 11:45:38 PDT 2011

The web site:  _www.dogfoodadvisor.com_ (http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com)  is
one that  I have found very helpful.  It seems to very unbiased, and covers
more dog  foods than I ever knew existed.  I am currently feeding one of
the foods  that they rate as
Four Star--Victor Joint Health Formula.  I would recommend any of  their
4-star foods, and most of their 3-star foods.  The things I try to  avoid are
soy, corn, wheat, and gluten--these seem to be the things that  most
frequently cause food allergies.

I would recommend checking the site for 3 and 4 star foods, then taking a
list to your local pet food supplier and checking prices.  I have had good
luck with the foods listed in your e-mail--another one I like is Blue
Buffalo.

So far as feeding once or twice a day--I feed once a day, and my adult
bassets get two measuring cups of food per day.  With good quality food,  they
stay in good shape. However, if your dogs are more active that mine, they
may need more food.  If you want to feed twice a day instead of once,  simply
divide the daily ration in half and feed 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 half
at night.  It may not look like much food, but they will do fine.

Feel free to e-mail me off line if you wish.

Kathryn Beard
_rkbeard at aol.com_ (mailto:rkbeard at aol.com)