[Dailydrool] Cushings info

Vicki Kerns vickikerns at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 11:41:42 PDT 2011

To Kathryn John re: Cushings. Here's an informative website about Cushings -
http://www.kateconnick.com/library/cushingsdisease.html. My Cleo was
diagnosed with Cushings a few months ago. She has the adrenal/pituitary
gland type. It tooks several types of tests & a detailed ultrasound to
determine which type. The vet put her on a newer type of Cushings meds that
have a lower side effect level. It's called Vetoryl & she's on 60mg/day. Now
I don't know about others, but Cleo's level improved almost immediately &
she's doing great (she's almost 11). Sending lots of drool to your friend &
Yofi. The meds aren't cheap but thank God above that it's a treatable
condition.

To Eva & Penny: I'm wondering if premature graying isn't more common in
Bassets. My Cleo started getting gray at around age 5 & Pongo did at about
7.

Tons & drool & prayers to Miss Poppy (aka Mary Poppins), and Pixel, and
Jellybean, and Fred (remember, it's a good idea to keep a bottle of hydrogen
peroxide on hand. If they swallow chocolate like that, I had the emergency
vet tell me to pour some down their throat & it will cause them to throw up
their stomach contents). Drool to anyone else I've missed; I know there's
lots of sick babies out there.

Heart healing drool & prayers to the McQuade family on the loss of the bold
& beautiful Admiral Sir Belvedere. If there was ever a wish I could make
that would come true is for our babies to be granted longer, healthier lives
than they have. They are with us for what seems such a short time but their
stamp on our hearts & lives is eternal. I know Elder Clara will throw a big
welcome buffet for him.

And for the Benedryl vs. Zyrtec. I got some Zyrtec 10mg but it doesn't seem
to be working. What size doses do other Droolers give their dogs that seem
to help? Cleo is 42 pounds (she's my Cushings girl).

--Vicki Kerns

  ~≈≈~

  //^ ^\\
(/(_•_)\)
 _/''*''\_
(/_)^(_\)  ~  "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."