[Dailydrool] puppy pen

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 19:17:16 PDT 2011

I used a regular ex-pen inside with large pieces of indoor/outdoor
carpeting. I think I had 4 sections so that at any given time I had at least
one clean and ready to go. The advantage is simple washing it off outside
with a hose and laying it in the sun (away from the other dogs so they do
not "annoint" it) to dry. I had a plastic painter's tarp under the it to
keep stuff from leaking through onto the floor. You can take sections out
and make the pen as large or small as you want. Mine were little, tho. A
larger puppy might be able to tip it over, jumping on it. Or you could buy a
used playpen. However, be sure the slats are close enough together that your
baby dog cannot stick his head through them and get stuck.

The best solution is to crate the puppy when he is not right with you. The
BEST solution is to take a week off and spend your time exclusively with the
puppy, housebreaking and acclimating him to the household routines, crating
when you cannot be right there. Do not ever crate or pen a dog for long
periods: they want to be with everyone else, and will become barky and
frustrated. Ok, at least frustrated.

My dogs bark if they can see me but not reach me. But they're spoiled brats.
What a shocker.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper