[Dailydrool] Breeder in Red Bluff

patricia vizgart ourmimz at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 07:30:03 PST 2011

Almost two years ago we traveled to Sacramento to pick up our ever so loving Daisy (then named Midnight) from a foster family.    She had been one of the 63 dogs rescued from a puppy breeding mill shut down because of abuse.    Daisy has become the most affectionate, sweet, groaning, stare at you with her piercing deep eyes, in love with us, never could imagine our family without her member.  Our nickname for her is "Pinoccia," because she has become "a real dog" (Pinoccio became a real boy...).

We will be visiting friends in Red Bluff next week and I would like to take this opportunity to check out the breeder she was rescued from in 2009.   When we visited other basset families in 2010 at the Waddle we were told they were back in business.    It has haunted us since then, and my husband and I feel an obligation to check it out because of what we feel must have been extensive abuse.    Daisy trembled for the first six months of her life with us, would not pass through a doorway if we were anywhere near it, coward at loud noises, would roll over in submission whenever we touched her, would not stick up for herself with our other basset, and generally trembled and quaked at our every attempt to show her love.

Even with all this, she never showed any aggression towards anyone.   We always joke that she would be an excellent pet for a family with small children to tug on her or dress her up.   Fast forward to today, she now dances around with our 12 year old Ladybug (irritating her to no end), goes wild with joy when we rattle the leash, lays on Ladybug (who grumbles and groans), and knows she has landed in a good place...the only tell tale signs of her former life is that she will only eat in our bathroom, light on, no one around.

Does anyone know the breeder I am talking about, any idea if they are still harming other loving bassets?

Thanks, and we really enjoy reading some of the postings on weekends and can not imagine our lives without our furry, "squisher," fairly high maintenance (teeth, weekly baths, shedding!, nails, ears...), family members.

Sam and Patti Vizgart (Santa Rosa, CA)