[Dailydrool] Jr's first match

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 4 18:59:02 PST 2011

Jr. had his first match today, beginner novice.  He was second in the ring, and this was the first time for both of us.  His judge was very generous with his score, I believe, and while I could have done two trials, I opted for only one.  Next time, we will do two.  Jr. was very distracted because there were just so many dogs in attendance, and he wanted to meet and great every single one of them, but some handlers wanted no part of this (understood) and some dogs wanted no part of this (very much understood).  I had my highest quality distraction treat with me, which even at times could not get his attention at all, as we waited for out turn.  The humans were all incredibly nice, and while I was stage fright nervous, I was not paranoid nervous, and there is a difference.  In my next life, I want to be an actor, so Jr. is helping me get my stage energy ready, LOL, LOL, LOL.
Jr's score was 37 out of 40 for heel on leash.  My fault because I adapted my pace to him.
Jr's score was 37 out of 40 for the figure 8.  My fault because of constant tugging on leash or guiding.  (BTW, he started nipping at my pants leg, and there was a potential that he would pull my pants down.)
Jr's score was 35 out of 40 for sit for exam.  Jr's fault because the first time he did a full out roll on back for a belly rub.  He knows this exercise, and the second time he was fine.  The judge was his trainer, and she loves bassets, and he and she do belly rubs all the time.  Jr. didn't realize it was a match, not playtime.
Jr's score was 0 for the sit stay.  He broke at least 4 times, and this was an element we didn't train for very much in advance, and his trainer and I both knew it would be a problem.  Ergo the reason he will in the future take classes twice a week instead of once a week.
Jr's score was 40 for the recall.  Of course, I was allowed to give him a treat then.  What a guy!!!!
Ok, while he did not perform to expectation, he is a performance artist, and he made a lot of people laugh today, just as he did with his agility demos over the summer.  He is quite the character, my blessing, my curse (not), my love, love and more love.
After this, he had a mini photo shoot, a trip to the nursing home to see Mom, and a burger on the way home.  I am thinking of dropping burgers from the agenda.
With regard for pounds for hounds, while I have disappointing results to date, I realize I need to relearn my relationship with food, so I am joining weight watchers on Tuesday.  I don't think jr. needs burger king either, and I want us BOTH to be healthy, lean, dog obedience "fighting" (not really fighting, it is just jargon, I am speaking in cliche)  machines.  I may have slipped up a notch, but I have not given up the challenge.
Side note, Auntie Walli and I went to a Dickens festival this evening which was very lovely, and a celebration of the Howliday.  Flash D came with us, and he seemed very pleased with all the petting and love bestowed upon him.  It was a nice event.
Healing drool to all in need.
Jackie and the herd