[Dailydrool] I wrote to the Waggin' Train company regarding their chicken jerky treats - this is their response

Vicki Kerns vickikerns at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 07:28:07 PST 2011

Thank you for contacting Waggin' Train(r).

FROM WAGGIN' TRAIN:  "We appreciate the opportunity to address your
concerns.  In Nov. 2011, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
updated its 2007 advisory regarding chicken jerky treats for dogs.
Consistent with their prior statement, the FDA has been unable to determine
a definitive cause of reported dog illnesses or a direct link to chicken
jerky products.  To date, extensive testing performed by the FDA has not
uncovered a contaminant or specific ingredient as the cause of any illness,
including in Waggin' Train treats.  The FDA continues to advise dog owners
that chicken jerky products should not be substituted for a balanced diet,
and are intended to be fed occasionally in small quantities.

The FDA has reported that any association between dog illnesses and chicken
jerky may be the result of dogs (primarily small dogs) consuming treats in
excess of normal or recommended levels. Consumers are encouraged to read
and follow the feeding guidelines found on Waggin' Train packages.

Waggin' Train has a comprehensive food safety program in place to ensure
the safety of our products. We only use high-quality ingredients in our
products, and the production facilities are designed and operated to meet
U.S. Department of Agriculture standards. We have a dedicated team of
quality control experts on the ground in China - in the plants when Waggin'
Train products are being produced. They monitor various steps of the
manufacturing process for safety and quality of the product.

The safety and efficacy of our products is our top priority, and consumers
can and should continue to feed Waggin' Train treats with total confidence.

If we can be of any additional assistance, please contact our Office of
Consumer Affairs directly at 1-866-283-2923 weekdays between 7AM to 7PM
CST. One of our Pet Advisors will be available to address your concerns.
Please provide the Pet Advisor with the reference number that appears in
the subject line of this e-mail.

Again, thank you for visiting our website."

FROM VICKI:  Well I, for one, am not going to buy this load of horse manure
and I will continue to ban any foods from China either for myself and
especially for my darling babies.

--
Vicki Kerns

  ~≈≈~

  //^ ^\\
(/(_•_)\)
 _/''*''\_
(/_)^(_\)  ~  "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."