[Dailydrool] Prototype of denim dog diaper suit!

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 10 14:53:15 PST 2011

I have finished my 'prototype'/first draft of a custom dog diaper suit for Bo--an alternative to the belly band. It fits great, and we will see how it stands up overnight. If this works, it will be very useful  and I'll share the design with everyone. I'm really excited at the potential, though, so wanted to share right away.

The body of the suit is basically a big fabric tube (or, more accurately, a big square that when slipped under the dog and drawn up on each side and joined at the top forms a tube) that velcroes along the top/back, and goes the entire length of the hound from the backs of his front legs to the fronts of his back legs. Kind of like a whole torso belly band. Then in the front on the sides of the tube are two tab/band/straps, one attached on each side at the shoulder, which go around the dog's chest and which velco in the center of the chest the way a dog coat does. So now it looks like a dog coat except that the coat goes all the way around the dog like a belly band instead of just being on the dog's back.

So now, go to the lower edge of the back of the tube. I sewed a big "T" fabric shape there. The stem of the T joins the lower bottom of the tube, and then the t part goes between the dog's back legs and is drawn up behind the dog. Now the arms are sticking out perpendicular on each side of the dogs hips. One t arm is drawn around on each hip and velcroed to the corresponding hip of the tube.

The velcro closures are quite generous, so some areas can be made tighter than others. I plan to put a toddler diaper cut into a square into the crotch of the denim suit. If this works the way I'm hoping it will, I can just change the diaper part, and occasionally wash the suit as needed. I am sure the design will need tweaking but I'm feeling optimistic. We'll see. Oh, those designer wannabes on Project Runway have nothing on me!! woo hoo.