[Dailydrool] Ben scores it big

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 05:35:52 PST 2011

Ah, Ben's humans have just learned the primary rule of counter cruising--NEVER, EVER TRUST A COUNTER CRUISER.

In fourteen years, we still haven't gotten this rule quite into our brains either. For a long time after she had to have something scoped out of her stomach, I believed our Jane had stopped this bad habit. But a week or so ago, I left some bread on the kitchen cart to defrost.

Why didn't I think "Bread, BREAD! It's Jane's favorite counter-cruising item. Put it away, Pam"? Jane got about four slices. The other two hit the floor, and I threw them out as soon as I got close enough to grab them.

Shortly before that, we had an incident with some dog treats that didn't pass my quality-control tests for the Dashing Basset Bakery. I had left them on the dining room table, and no one seemed at all interested. One day, I found Holly (whose name might better be Hoover when it comes to food but whose arthritis has always seemed to keep her four paws on the ground) noshing on the whole tray of them, which had mysteriously landed on the floor and one chair. Either she has learned counter cruising from Jane or has gotten Duncan thefairlyuselessc at t to get in cahoots with her (another Jane lesson). Dexter got a few mouthfuls of treats, but not enough to harm him. But I swear that Holly put on weight for a day or two afterwards--she looks at food  and puts on pounds. Jane came late to the party, as far as I could see. Uh-oh! Should I be suspicious of that?

If humans are so smart, how come we can never permanently stop this behavior in our dogs or remember to keep things out of the counter cruiser's range? Makes me wonder who is the smarter species. Right now, the dogs seem to be winning. If they had opposable thumbs, they might rule the world.
Pam & all the very well fed Dashing Bassets