[Dailydrool] Mell the beagle

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 16 10:02:33 PST 2011

The Dashing Bassets send drool to Amanda and the Goose Gaggle Giggle on the loss of Mell.

It was very instructive to learn of Mell's behavior. It confirms what I have guessed, that Dexter, the newest foster never to go anywhere, must be part beagle. He's small for a basset, though he does not have the typical bagel stature. But he is also the chattiest dog I have ever known. He howls when his mama leaves the house. He howls when she leaves the room. He howls whenever he darn well feels like it.

Other than this behavior, he is just about perfect. He sits on command, a new idea for the Dashing Bassets--well, the others to it, but only for a really wonderful treat. He likes to go for long walks, instead of waddling along at a pace that allows the winter cold to numb up the humans while they wait. He adores the mama and likes papa a whole lot. He's a cute as they come, despite the fact that he lost one eye to glaucoma.

Now if we could just tone down the noise, he'd be a totally perfect hound. But I still will wonder if he's 100 percent basset.
Pam, food slavel to the Dashing Bassets, especially the one who really dashes.