[Dailydrool] Ear and Hip issues

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Mon Dec 19 16:29:47 PST 2011

First off drool to all with sick babies and extra special drool to those of you who have recently lost a beloved pet.  I would say basset but I think we have lost a beagle and a cat as well.  It isn't like we love them any less.

Today I am having a most depressing day and could use some advice.  Beauford will be three years old on Jan 2.  We have known for over a year that he has hip dysplasia.  He also has a crooked little from left leg.  We started him on adequan shots after a spill off the couch when he was about 9 months old that caused him to go lame in that front left leg.  After the hip x-rays we also started him on dasequan and phycox.  He also has been on fish oil.  We started him on laser treatments this fall and we started him on tramadol about 20 days ago.  He does not tolerate any of the NSAIDS.  They cause a bleeding ulcer in 1-2 doses.  He weighs 63 pounds.  Any advice?  Any suggestions?  Oh yeah, I could hear and feel his good hip (the right one) pop when I lifted him into the car today.

Bugsey was also at the vet today.  We have been treating his ear for 2 months now for an ear infection.  We managed to clear up the bacterial infection and now have a raging yeast infection.  Just my luck.  I told my husband this was going to happen.  Unfortunately I have been down this road before with more than one dog.  I wanted to just flush the stupid ear out, but we can't.  It is almost swollen shut and the vet says it is too swollen to flush!  Last time I checked it is dead of winter and we live in the North.  That means it isn't pollen, or an outdoor mold.  That means it very well might be a new food allergy.  So he is going on Science Diet Z/D.  Don't give me any grief about this please.  I hate Science Diet.  I am not a huge proponent of their food, but I am at my wits end at the moment.  The dog is already on steroids and he has already had that ear drum burst 3 times in his short little life.  It is driving me nuts that we can't even see if the ear drum is intact or not.  Arggghhh!

I would cry but that won't serve any purpose.  Oh yeah!  Let's not forget that the idiot hounds got in the dishwasher last night after I cleaned out the pantry and put in some jars that had decade old apple syrup in them.  Now their heads are all sticky and gross.  I had surgery and can't wash them at the moment.  I have taken hot wet washcloths to their heads 4 times so far.  It is getting better, but still very gross.

Jennifer, momslave to Beauford and Bugsey (the decade old apple syrup tasted very yummy to us and we were able to drool for all in need!)