[Dailydrool] Happy New Year--fireworks, bah humbug!!

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 21:24:11 PST 2011

Happy New Year to our Drool family,
  I think I will be on the computer all night tonight--I am not sure what I will do all night, but I'm sure I will learn lots of things. It is currently about seven in the evening here in Hawaii--so that would make it past midnight on the East Coast, and morning of the New Year in Italy where our boy lives. Fireworks are not illegal on our island. On Oahu, personal use of aerials are outlawed, but here anything goes--so every child and his/her brother/sister sets off bombs from dusk to about 1 AM. The sky outside gets so smokey that the ER's put on extra staff for respiratory emergencies. At midnight, it resembles the front lines of Kosovo. The hounds are terrified of the fireworks and firecrackers (as was our late cat). Generally we close all the windows, pull down all the blinds, turn up the stereo, and hunker down together on the bed.

But this year we are in a new place. The popping and cracking has started, and lots of our windows in this new place don't close. We do not have blinds on all the windows. My husband thinks it would be a bad idea to load the dogs in the car and head out into the wilderness because the drivers here are nuts even when they have not been drinking, so tonight it will be super nuts. So we are improvising. Both dogs are glued to my ankles panting. But we have discovered the answer. Our computer is on a big rolltop desk up against a wall. The boys discovered they both fit in the foot well in the desk in front of my feet, and both are hunkered in there looking at me. So long as I am sitting here on the computer, they seem relatively okay,though their eyes are glowing in the dark. If I get up, they get agitated. So I think I will be doing a lot of computer catch-up on e-mails tonight. Wish us luck, and happy new year everyone. Val, Bo, and Harley